MECKLENBURG COUNTY REPUBLICAN PARTY FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
DAILY OPERATION FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I’m with a media outlet. How can I be granted access for an interview with the MeckGOP?
Please submit all media inquiries in writing to the official MeckGOP PR email address, [email protected]. Please note that due to the large volume of media requests and the fact that we are all volunteers, not all requests may be fulfilled (but we’ll try!). For all convention-specific related media questions, please contact the Charlotte 2020 Host Committee directly at [email protected]. The Host Committee handles all direct Convention logistics and has fully taken over Convention operations.
Where can I visit your headquarters?
The MeckGOP does not have a brick and mortar headquarters. At the direction of the RNC, we are out in the field directly reaching out to voters rather than paying Charlotte-area commercial rent! We will have a staffed Trump Victory headquarters closer to the election. In the meantime, you can contact [email protected] for your questions. Please note that we do not have any paid staff and are a volunteer-led organization. Due to the sheer volume of inquiries, we ask for a 48-hour response time. If you would like to be involved as a headquarters volunteer this fall, please reach out to [email protected]. We also do not have bumper stickers or signs at this time - we will let everyone know when they are available for distribution.
Are there ways to get involved in my neighborhood?
Absolutely! Because of the sheer size of Mecklenburg County (both in geography and in population!) we recognize that we cannot be based around a single headquarters. We have a robust precinct organization program, including a field staff for the Trump Victory program. To volunteer for the Republican Party, please contact our Precinct Organization Chair and Trump Victory Campaign Regional Field Director Chris Poulton at [email protected].
We have several recognized auxiliary clubs that meet across our county:
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Republican Women was chartered in 1953 and the goals set over sixty years ago are the goals they cherish today – to involve women in political action for the sake of good government, to educate women to be effective political activists and to work for the election of Republican candidates. The CMRW meets during lunch on the fourth Wednesdays of the month at Maggiano’s in SouthPark.
- Hornet’s Nest Republican Men’s Club was established in 2019 to further the principles of the North Carolina Republican Party and to promote Republican candidates in all elections. The Hornet's Nest Republican Men's Club will meet on the second Monday of each month. The location for each month will be shared via email with its members.
- Mecklenburg County Young Republicans is a social group of ages 18-40 that enjoys creating an environment where people can share their political views amongst friends. Outside the social/networking aspect of each meeting, their meetings will provide an opportunity for education on political issues at the local, county, state and national levels from our own elected officials and those running for political office. They meet on the fourth Tuesday of each month at Dilworth Neighborhood Grill on Morehead Street and host quarterly social and philanthropic events.
- Mecklenburg Evening Republican Women's Club aims to educate, motivate and activate Mecklenburg County citizens through Republican beliefs. The club meets the third Tuesday of the month at Mickey and Mooch in the Arboretum.
- Mint-Hill Matthews Republican Club is a home-grown group designed to promote conservative principles and educate the citizens of Mint Hill and Matthews concerning policies that affect them. The club meets the third Thursdays of the month at Jimmie’s Restaurant in Mint Hill.
- North Mecklenburg Republican Women is dedicated to increasing the effectiveness of women in the cause of good government as well as informing the public through political education and activity. NMRW supports local charities to better our community and to increase awareness of the Republican Party. Meetings are held in the evenings on the second Tuesday of the month at Northstone Country Club in Huntersville.
- Uptown Charlotte Republican Women chartered this year as a group of Republican women dedicated to putting the Party back in the Grand Old Party! The UCRW meets for a 6-8pm networking happy hour the 2nd Wednesdays of the month in the Uptown, Dilworth, South End and NoDa areas.
Please note that these are the only officially recognized auxiliary organizations within Mecklenburg County. If you would like to start an official Republican club in Mecklenburg County Republican Party, please contact our Vice Chair, Sarah-Reidy-Jones at [email protected].
ELECTION FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who does the MeckGOP recommend I vote for?
The Mecklenburg County Republican Party CANNOT make recommendations in contested Republican primaries. To do so would be a direct violation of our Plan of Organization (our governing rules). We will provide a Republican voter guide after the March 3 primary (or any subsequent runoffs). To see a complete list of Republican candidates on your primary ballot, visit https://vt.ncsbe.gov/RegLkup/ and click on “Sample Ballot”. For a full list of candidates running for statewide office, visit https://mecklenburg.nc.gop/2020_candidates. We recommend you research all of the candidates for yourself or come to one of our local club meetings to hear from the candidates directly!
How do I early vote?
Early voting is happening right now at 20 locations across Mecklenburg County! Please note that you can only vote for the ballot for the Party that you are registered for (unaffiliates may only choose 1 ballot – either the Republican or the Democrat – not both). All registered Mecklenburg County voters can vote at any of the early voting sites, not just the location closest to your residence. For a complete list of sites and dates, visit https://www.mecknc.gov/BOE/Documents/early%20voting%20calendar%20for%2020PMECK.pdf
Where do I vote and how do I see a sample ballot?
To find your precinct, view your sample ballot and other important voting information, please visit https://vt.ncsbe.gov/RegLkup/, enter your information and click sample ballots. Please note that we do not coordinate volunteers at early voting and election day sites for primary elections. Please directly contact the candidate(s) of your choice if you would like to help during a primary election.
TRUMP 2020 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do I get tickets to Trump rallies?
The only way to secure tickets is through the official Trump campaign website. Please note that we CANNOT accommodate VIP ticket requests (we haven’t even been offered VIP tickets!). Entrance into the event is first-come, first-serve.
How do I get Trump-Pence swag?
We do not have any official Trump-Pence items (bumper stickers, yard signs, clothing, etc.) at this time. We will post when we do have access to those materials, but it is usually not until closer to the election. (And let’s face it – Trump Derangement Syndrome is very real and yard signs/bumper are being stolen this early into the election!)
RNC IN CHARLOTTE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I be a delegate to the convention?
The current NCGOP State Party Chair and Republican National Committeeman and National Committeewoman are automatic delegates. Each Congressional district elects 3 delegates and 3 alternate delegates to the Republican National Convention and elects 1 elector (the person that actually casts the vote in a ceremony in Raleigh). The 9th district convention will be the evening of Saturday, April 25 in Monroe. The 12th district convention will be the evening of Thursday, April 23 in Charlotte. PLEASE NOTE: District convention delegates have already been selected at the 2020 Mecklenburg County Precinct Meeting – if you are not a delegate, you may only attend our district conventions as a non-voting guest. North Carolina will also elect at-large delegates and alternates at their state convention in Greenville in May (approximately 1 delegate and 1 alternate per Congressional district). PLEASE NOTE: State convention delegates have already been selected at the 2020 Mecklenburg County Precinct Meeting – if you are not a delegate, you may only attend the NCGOP Convention as a non-voting guest (but we still recommend you attend – they are fun!). If you have not been involved in the convention process before, we recommend you attend the next MeckGOP precinct meeting in early 2021, where we elect the 2021 County, District and State Delegates and elect Precinct Officers.
Can I buy a ticket to the Republican National Convention in Charlotte this August?
We have no control over guest passes to the RNC. Please note that the convention staff handles all convention operations. The best (and only way) to be involved in the 2020 RNC is to sign up to volunteer at the official convention site, www.charlottein2020.com. While the MeckGOP will have a say in prioritizing some volunteer opportunities, we cannot guarantee admission to the convention or its activities. The best advice we can give is to start volunteering NOW for the Republican Party – sweat equity will go a long way! To volunteer for the Republican Party, please contact our Precinct Organization Chair and Trump Victory Campaign Field Director Chris Poulton at [email protected] or follow us on social media for activities.
Can I introduce Trump at the podium during the convention?
Believe it or not, we have been asked this question! While we are excited any time that President Trump or Vice President Pence (or their surrogates) visit Mecklenburg County, we can never guarantee attendance or meeting them. We do not have a say in the official convention agenda but always try to include our rock star volunteers at any chance we are afforded when the Trump team does visit!
Can you help me rent my house or find housing during the RNC?
The Host Committee will not be assisting with any private housing requests. We recommend (like good conservatives!) utilizing the free market system. Sites like Air B&B, VRBO, etc. can assist you with convention rentals – both with seeking housing and offering housing.